July 1, 2018– June 30, 2022 Agreement between Rutgers University and Rutgers AAUP-AFT
Excerpt from Article 8 – Salary Provisions, Faculty Compensation Program
PART FIVE : OUT-OF-CYCLE SALARY ADJUSTMENTS
A. The University may, at its discretion, increase the salary of a member or members of the negotiations unit in the following instances:
1. to provide immediate recognition for an unusual professional achievement or to respond to a bona fide outside offer. The University may also, at its discretion, increase the salary of a member of the negotiations unit when it believes that an outside offer is imminent because of recent distinguished professional achievements and other evidence. When the University considers offering such an increase, notice shall be given to the available tenured members of the individual’s department. They shall be afforded an opportunity to provide advice on the matter and this advice shall be included in the department’s written recommendation on the matter.
2. in response to market conditions in a particular discipline or subdiscipline at peer institutions.
B. The University may increase the salary of a member or members of the negotiations unit in order to make equity adjustments based on factors such as external market salary benchmarks within relevant markets, the faculty member’s individual benchmarking information, including, but not limited to, teaching, service and research achievements, and other relevant accomplishments, compared to relevant peers and with the recognition that Rutgers prohibits discrimination based on any legally protected classifications, including, but not limited to, gender and race. “Relevant peers” may include faculty at other Rutgers campuses.
1. A faculty member requesting an equity adjustment shall submit a written request with supporting documentation to the Dean and to Compensation Services.
2. The Dean shall submit to Compensation Services and to the faculty member written comments in response to the request of an equity adjustment.
3. Compensation Services shall review the faculty member’s request for an equity adjustment and supporting documentation, the Dean’s written comments, and shall collect and review any other information it deems relevant to its inquiry.
4. Within ninety (90) working days from the submission of a request for an equity adjustment by a faculty member, Compensation Services shall communicate the results of its review and the basis for the results in writing to the faculty member and the respective Chancellor. If for any reason the review cannot be completed within this timeframe, Compensation Services shall notify the faculty member. If Compensation Services recommends an equity adjustment, it shall recommend the amount of the compensation increase.
5. The faculty member may submit a written response regarding the results provided by Compensation Services to the Chancellor.
6. In all instances, the amount of an increase, if any, will be determined by the respective Chancellor, or designee, in consultation with the Dean and Compensation Services, and the resulting salary must be consistent with the factors set forth in B. above. The Chancellor, or designee, shall be responsible for approving such increase, if any, and for communicating such decision to the negotiations unit member.
7. The faculty member may appeal a decision of the Chancellor to the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs. The decision of the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs shall be provided to the faculty member and the AAUP-AFT. The decision of the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs shall not be grievable; however, this shall not preclude a faculty member from filing an Article 9 grievance based on an alleged violation of Article 4 of this Agreement following the final decision of the SVPAA. The time for filing such a grievance under Article 4 shall begin to run upon receipt of the decision of the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs.
8. The faculty member may be accompanied by an AAUP-AFT representative for purposes of any meetings with Compensation Services for purposes of this Part Five, section B. equity review process.
9. The University commits to funding equity increases approved by the Chancellor, or, if applicable, the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs.
C. When the University has determined to make an out-of-cycle salary increase, it shall inform the AAUP-AFT in writing of the name, rank, and current and adjusted salaries of each individual for whom an increase is to be made.
D. During the effective term of this Agreement, all out-of-cycle salary adjustments to an individual recipient, beyond the first, which is at University discretion under section A. above, shall be subject to negotiation with the AAUP-AFT.
E. The University shall not implement any salary adjustment until 15 working days after it has informed the AAUP-AFT of its determination, as specified above, or until such time as the AAUP-AFT and the University have agreed in writing that the requirements of this Article have been fulfilled, whichever is sooner.
F. Out-of-Cycle increases are in addition to, and not inclusive of, other salary increases provided for in other Parts of this Article.