Union members began voting in a referendum on the Memorandum of Agreement between Rutgers AAUP-AFT and Rutgers, the State University regarding Non-Tenure Track Faculty on January 17, 2014. The vote by electronic ballot will continue until January 31, 2014, at 4 p.m.
The Executive Council of the AAUP-AFT and the union’s NTT Bargaining Team recommended that members vote to approve the agreement. Read the provisions of the NTT Memorandum of Agreement here.
Ann Gordon, who chaired the AAUP-AFT NTT Bargaining Team, said "These are enormous changes for the better in the lives of many faculty members at Rutgers. We have managed to swing this large ship of a university into the current and align it with the major research universities already addressing professional practice for non-tenure track faculty."
- Non-renewable contracts are a thing of the past. They can no longer be written except in the cases of a failed bid for tenure or a truly temporary hire as defined in the agreement.
- Violations of the terms of employment spelled out in a letter of appointment may be contested through the grievance process.
- Non-tenure track faculty will be placed in one or another title series that set forth career paths or promotion pathways. Existing Clinical and Research series are now augmented by new non-tenure track series of Teaching, Professional Practice, and Librarian faculty.
- Every NTT faculty member is eligible for multi-year contracts – up to five years in duration. Non-grant-funded NTT faculty who are successfully reappointed after six years of full-time service must have appointments of at least two years’ duration thereafter.
- Effective January 1, 2014, no NTT faculty member will be paid less than $39,058 (academic year) or $44,963 (calendar year).
- Effective July 1, 2014 the Research Assistant, Assistant Instructor, and equivalent titles will no longer be used for new hires; new NTT faculty will be hired at the rank of Research Associate, Instructor, their equivalents, or above.
- Effective July 1, 2014 continuing faculty in ranks of Research Assistant, Assistant Instructor, or equivalent titles will earn the rank of Research Associate, Instructor, and equivalent title provided criteria are met, per the agreement.