We are the faculty union at Rutgers
The Rutgers AAUP-AFT is the facuty union at Rutgers. We could be described as "Legacy-Rutgers": we represent more than 6,600 full-time faculty, part-time lecturers, graduate student employees, counselors and postdoctoral scholars. The mission of the Rutgers AAUP-AFT is to ensure the educational quality and academic integrity of Rutgers University by enhancing the professional lives and conditions of employment for those we represent.
Since faculty working conditions are students' learning conditions, our union seeks to protect the interests of our students and benefit the university community as a whole.
Rutgers has provided generations of middle- and working-class students with an affordable university education of very high quality. The people of New Jersey look to Rutgers to drive the recovery from the current economic downturn, and to continue to provide excellent, affordable higher education. At the present moment, however, the ability of Rutgers to continue to fulfill its mission is in danger. Years of underfunding from the state and misplaced managerial priorities have led to decreases in the number of full-time faculty, larger classes, and the physical deterioration of facilities. Troubling increases in tuition and student debt loads threaten access to Rutgers and diminish future prospects for our students and their families.
Rutgers AAUP-AFT is committed to preserving and enhancing the quality and accessibility of Rutgers programs and to advancing the university to the top echelon of public research universities. We believe that to achieve these goals, Rutgers must
- recruit and retain outstanding and diverse faculty and students
- provide students outstanding classroom instruction and mentoring, to the fullest possible extent by full-time faculty members
- provide first-class facilities, infrastructure, and staff support for teaching, research and service
- uphold the core academic values of academic freedom and due process, shared governance and respect for the rights and opinions of others
- foster an atmosphere of openness, collegiality and trust in which all members of the university community work together
We are advocates for Rutgers. Join with us to help defend our great public university.